On the days when homeschooling is hard, reading these inspirational homeschooling quotes just might help!
We all have those days when homeschool feels overwhelming, tiring, frustrating, and sometimes it’s just plain hard.
To make it through those tough times, it can help to have a place to find some inspiration – and for me, that inspiration often comes from great quotes that remind me why I’m homeschooling my children in the first place.
Check out these inspiring homeschool quotes and see if they’ll be helpful for you too.
Quotes about Homeschooling
These inspiring homeschool quotes illustrate the benefits of homeschool that we love, but that we can sometimes forget too quickly.
1.“Homeschooling allows you the freedom to step off the highway of learning and take a more scenic route along a dirt road.” -Tamara L. Chilver
2. “Don’t worry about socialization. Wherever people congregate there is going to be interaction. Where is it written that it needs to be in schools?” -Mary Kay Clark
3. “Education is every day and everywhere. The only thing you have to pay is attention.” -Tim Fargo
4. “Thank goodness I was never sent to school: it would have rubbed off some of the originality.” -Beatrix Potter
5. “I home educate not to prepare my children for tests, but to prepare my children for life.” -Tamara L. Chilver
6. “The home is the chief school of human virtues.” -William Ellery Channing
7. “Homeschooling is not a race to the finish line. It’s a journey of a million small discoveries that lead you along the path God has marked out for you.” -Jeannie Fulbright
8. “When home education is seen in its proper place, seen as a gift, a blessing, an act of stewardship, and when it’s embraced in humility, it’s a lovely thing.” -Dawn Gregg
9. “School is not the only place to learn to grow up.” -Patrick Farenga
10. “You will not reap the fruit of individuality in your children if you clone their education.” -Marilyn Howshall
11. “Why do people take or keep their children out of school? Mostly for three reasons: they think that raising their children is their business, not the government’s; they enjoy being with their children and watching them and helping them learn, they want to keep them from being hurt mentally, physically, and spiritually.” -John Holt
12. “A teaching degree is to homeschooling as a culinary degree is to grandma’s cooking…it just can’t touch the love, care, and personal standard that only she can stir in.” -Dawn Shelton
13. “People say that homeschooled kids are too sheltered from the real world. At what point did sitting behind desks all day become the real world?” -Unknown
14. “I prefer to make those [educational] choices myself. Not because I think I know ‘better’ than all those professional educators, but I do think I know my own children best, and consequently which programs and methods would benefit them. Homeschooling is not about rejecting other people and things; it’s about making personal and positive choices for your own family.” – Mariette Ulrich.
15. “Home-based education is not an experiment. It’s how people learned to function in the world for centuries. And there’s no reason to think people today can’t do the same thing.” -Wendy Priesnitz
Free Resource Library
In addition to these great homeschool quotes, there’s also an incredible Free Resource Library here at The Reluctant Homeschool Mama to help make your homeschooling so much easier!
Click right here or on the image below to get access to more than 20 great free homeschooling printables to help you organize your homeschool and teach your kids!
Homeschooling Quotes about Learning
Many homeschool moms often say that the best thing about homeschooling is being able to tailor your child’s learning experience to his or her needs. Here are some inspirational homeschooling quotes to reinforce that idea!
16. “Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think.” -Albert Einstein
17. “The essence of education is to help you discover your uniqueness, teach you how to develop it, and show you how to give it away.” -Leo Buscaglia
18. “Children learn from anything and everything they see. They learn wherever they are, not just in special learning places.” -John Holt
19. “Don’t let schooling interfere with your education.” -Mark Twain
20. “I am not a teacher, but an awakener.” -Robert Frost
21. “Imagination is more important than knowledge.” -Albert Einstein
22. “It is possible to store the mind with a million facts and still be entirely uneducated.” -Alec Bourne
23. “Every child can learn – just not on the same day or in the same way.” -George Evans
24. “What is most important and valuable about the home as a base for children’s growth into the world is not that it is a better school than the schools, but that it isn’t a school at all.” -John Holt
25. “If a child can’t learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.” -Ignacio Estrada
26. “Play is the greatest form of research.” -Albert Einstein
27. “Your work should be in praise of what you love.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Homeschool Quotes about Teaching Children
Teaching our kids can be difficult, but also so rewarding. Here are some amazing quotes about teaching children that apply perfectly to homeschooling.
28. “You have to love your children unselfishly. That is hard. But it is the only way.” -Barbara Bush
29. “Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work.” -C.S. Lewis
30. “Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.” -Pablo Picasso
31. “Too often we give young people cut flowers instead of teaching them to grow their own plants.” -John Gardner
32. “It’s not our job to toughen our children up to face a cruel and heartless world. It’s our job to raise children who will make the world a little less cruel and heartless.” -L.R. Knost
33. “The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be ignited.” -Plutarch
34. “When one teaches, two learn.” -Robert Heinlein
35. “A man should first direct himself in the way he should go. Only then should he instruct others.” -Buddha
36. “Childhood is not a race to see how quickly a child can read, write, and count. It is a small window of time to learn and develop at the pace that is right for each individual child. Earlier does not equal better.” -Magda Gerber
37. “We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.” -Franklin D. Roosevelt
38. “Every child has a different learning style and pace. Each child is unique, not only capable of learning but also capable of succeeding.” -Robert John Meehan
39. “The first real lesson I learned as a homeschool teacher is that it’s the students that lead the way.” – Patti Armstrong
40. “Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.” -Margaret Mead
41. “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.” – Angela Schwindt
42. “The important thing is not so much that every child should be taught as that every child should be given the wish to learn.” -John Lubbock
43. “Education’s purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.” -Malcolm Forbes
44. “Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” -William Butler Yeats
45. “One child, one teacher, one book, and one pen can change the world.” -Malala Yousafzai
46. “I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.” -Socrates
47. “Don’t waste a lot of time and money pushing kids in a direction they don’t want to go. Instead, find out what weirdness they excel at and encourage them to do that. Then get out of the way.” -Seth Godin
48. “Teaching kids to count is fine, but teaching them what counts is best.” -Bob Talbert
49. “Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve.” -Roger Lewin
50. There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in. -Deepak K. Chopra
51. “Children are born with all the curiosity they ever need. It will last a lifetime if they are fed upon a daily diet of ideas.” -Charlotte Mason
52. “You cannot teach a person anything; you can only help him find it within himself.” -Galileo
Funny homeschool quotes
To finish up, here are a few funny homeschool quotes that will hopefully make you smile today!
53. “Homeschooling is like crafting with glitter. It’s messy and scary and oh so worth it.” Unknown
54. “Yes, I was talking to myself, but I’m not crazy. I’m a homeschool mom, so that was just a parent-teacher conference.” – Unknown
55. “I homeschool because I have seen the village and I don’t want it raising my kids.”
56. “You might be a homeschooler if you take sunshine days instead of snow days.”
57. “Homeschooling is a walk in the park … Jurassic Park.”
58. “When people ask homeschool kids what grade they’re in, they reply: ‘All? None? It’s complicated.’”
59. “I’m in an on-again, off-again relationship … with my homeschool curriculum.”
Final thoughts about these inspirational homeschool quotes
Remember, it’s completely normal to need a little pick-me-up from time to time as a homeschool mom!
Be sure to pin any of the quotes from this article so you can come back and review these inspirational homeschooling quotes when you need them!
Related articles with homeschool help for moms:
Which of these inspirational homeschooling quotes resonates the most with you?
Pin the image below to come back to these inspirational homeschooling quotes again!